Supporting the Implementation of the Common Market in the EAC
Strengthening the Economic Policy Competencies of the EAC Secretariat
Cooperation between EAC and GIZ
Despite notable successes in implementing the economic integration agenda, substantial efforts still need to be made to reinforce and deepen regional integration in the EAC. The effective implementation of the Customs Union and the Common Market Protocol, aimed at the free movement of goods and services, capital and persons within the region remains the major challenge for the process of regional integration.
Cross-border economic activities are still not at their full potential, and barriers remain. In addition, some intra-regional trade policies and relevant national regulations are yet to be formulated. The potential for regional trade in goods and services, investments and regional supply chains is not tapped. This presents a significant challenge for most countries in the region on their way to an increased competitiveness and integration in the world market.
Signing of EAC Common Market Protocol, Nov. 2009
Our Approach and Services
GIZ aims to support the EAC Secretariat in effectively designing, coordinating and monitoring processes for establishing the Common Market in the East African region by strengthening its sector specific capacities and its steering competency. We intend to strengthen the service orientation of the Secretariat towards the five partner states for it to effectively backstop the negotiation and policy making process at the regional level by preparing relevant technical inputs or through policy advice in cooperation with regional and international experts.
| Regional Workshop on Industrial Policy in 2011|
Our services include:
- We provide process and policy advice for designing regional policies and strategies for the implementation of the Customs Union and the Common Market.
- We strengthen sector specific capacities in the EAC Secretariat.
- We support studies and analyses to assess the impact of regional decision-making and support negotiation processes.
- We promote and support high-level consultation mechanisms and dialogue to facilitate the design and implementation of the regional protocols.
- We support networking activities to enable the EAC Secretariat to share and exchange experiences with other regional organisations.
Contributions and Achievements
Our work has contributed to the deeper integration of the EAC Partner States by supporting the implementation of the Customs Union and the finalization of the Common Market Protocol in some specific areas.
- We supported the set-up of the regional mechanisms for the elimination of non-tariff barriers and the operationalisation of the Customs Union Act through supporting the development of enforcement regulations, consequently promoting the free movement of goods.
- We contributed to the harmonisation of qualification systems among EAC member states that will ease the movement of labour in the region.
Our cooperation in the different areas contributed to a more active role of the EAC Secretariat in providing a stronger technical guidance for the negotiation processes as well as backstopping and monitoring of the integration agenda.
- We supported the finalisation of the EAC-EC EPA development matrix which will promote the negotiations of the Economic Partnership Agreements between the EAC and the European Union.
Based on the joint planning process with the EAC Secretariat we will continue to support economic policy design to enable the implementation of the Customs Union and the Common Market Protocol.
We will continue to strengthen capacities in the EAC Secretariat to foster the implementation of the regional integration agenda.
Head of Component:
Junior Regional Expert: