As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) has commissioned GIZ to support implementation of a technical cooperation project for strengthening capacities of the EAC secretariat in transboundary, integrated water resources management (IWRM), with a focus on the Lake Victoria Basin (LVB) and its subsidiary institution, the Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC). The project is implemented under the EAC Deputy Secretary General (DSG) for Productive & Social Sectors (project holder), within the Directorate for Productive Sectors, and with the LVBC in Kisumu, Kenya (IWRM Unit, to be formed).
The project is structured along three intervention areas, strengthening: (i) capacities of the EAC Secretariat to create framework conditions for transboundary IWRM in the EAC; (ii) capacities of the LVBC Secretariat to perform its IWRM core functions; and (iii) cooperation between the LVBC and key actors in IWRM in the five partner states of the LVB.
For support of the LVBC Secretariat / IWRM Unit in Kisumu, GIZ is recruiting a senior institutional and water resources management specialist (WRM) as an advisor to strengthen the capacities of the LVB in transboundary IWRM. The foreseen project implementation period is January 2022 to December 2024.
Duty station: Kisumu, Kenya (LVBC Secretariat)
Fixed term contract
**Responsibilities and Tasks
- Strategic, conceptual and technical coordination to implement the activities for strengthening of the LVBC Secretariat to enhance its core functions in IWRM and to strengthen its capacities for horizontal cooperation with five partner states of the LVBC (output i) and ii).
- Coordination between the GIZ project team in Kisumu, including the team of the international consultant, the GIZ team at the EAC secretariat in Arusha, where outputs (i) is implemented.
- Support the LVBC secretariat in liaising with project teams supported by other development partners (e.g. the LVB-IWRM programme supported by KFW; the Nile Basin Initiative, supported by WB (NCCR-project), by GIZ and other partners) in the field of IWRM or affiliated topics around natural resources management, regional harmonisation of legal frameworks, guidelines and standards, pursuing the overall objective of the support of German Development Cooperation with the EAC, which is deepening regional integration within the EAC.
- Support coordination and communication between the LVBC Secretariat and national river basin organisations of LVB.
- Facilitate collaboration of short-term GIZ consultants with LVBC staff, stakeholders in partner countries, EAC staff, and ensure that input and feedback of local partners is included in all final outputs of the consultants.
- Support and monitor activities of short-term GIZ consultants in preparing a mid-term review for the implementation of the LVBC Strategic Plan 2022-2026, to be submitted to the LVBC Council of Ministers, including recommendations on gender and inclusion of vulnerable groups.
- Support LVBC secretariat in implementation of the recommendations of the Strategic Plan’s mid-term review to strengthen its core functions, including measures for organisational development of LVBC.
- Support and monitor activities of short-term consultants in developing an analysis in order to produce a “State of the Basin report” on status and challenges regarding IWRM in the LVB, with a focus on water quality.
- Support and monitor activities of short-term consultants in developing a background paper of the LVBC for the harmonization of the national effluent discharge guidelines in the LVB, with a focus on water quality.
- Contributing to an assessment of the performance of major lake and river basin organisations in the LVB, with a focus on transboundary and trans-regional basins, carried out by component i) at the EAC (regarding e.g. institutional arrangements, implementation capacities, performance, challenges, level of harmonisation of respective protocols, guidelines and standards; development of a road map for the EAC how to strengthen the Lake / River Basin Organisations). The findings shall be transmitted to the EAC work package of the programme for consideration.
- Contribute to the development and coordinate the feedback on a gender sensitive EAC “Gender & Safeguards” proofing mechanism and guidelines for IWRM / natural resources management projects, under development at the EAC.
- Support the international consulting firm commissioned by GIZ to prepare two ready-for-finance IWRM project proposals along the LVBC and the new EAC-IWRM strategy, conforming with the EAC Gender & Safe-guards proofing mechanism, to be developed under component i); support introduction of the proposals to the relevant technical committees and decision makers of the LVBC. Prepare, in collaboration with an international consulting firm to be contracted by GIZ, a concept note and a roadmap for a knowledge centre in the LVB on IWRM topics.
- Coordinating, managing and supervising the work of short-term experts focused on IWRM in the LVBC. In this context communication and short-term visits to partner organisations in the LVBC and the EAC are required.
- Support of monitoring, knowledge management and reporting of the project to the LVBC steering structures and prepare communication material for external representation (e.g. regarding knowledge sharing and dissemination, participation in stakeholder meetings and public dialogues).
- Support close cross-sectoral cooperation with the LVBC Secretariat and representatives of the Partner States as well as with relevant regional, continental, and international institutions, academic institutions, organizations and networks, within the EAC and abroad.
- Facilitate cooperation and coordination with the GIZ team on site, in Kisumu and at the EAC Secretariat in Arusha, with other relevant projects, and with partner structures in the LVBC partner states, including in identifying, developing and exploiting synergies and gathering best practices and sharing lessons learnt.
**Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Completed university studies in water resources management, natural resources management, economics / organisational development, development studies or another degree programme relevant to capacity development in the area of international development of transboundary IWRM (Master degree). A focus on water resources management and/or climate change adaptation would be a plus.
- At least five (5) years of experience working in capacity development experience in water resources management / natural resources management development programmes (ideally transboundary water resources management, water supply and sanitation, climate change adaptation, solid waste management), with several years of experience in coordination and implementation of relevant projects.
- Several years of work experience in international collaboration; in particular approaches to capacity development; knowledge of GIZ procedures and processes is an advantage.
- Knowledge of policies, objectives, concepts, methods and institutions of international and regional cooperation, particularly in the thematic field of water resources management, lake or river basin organisations and related climate mitigation and adaptation measures.
- Excellent advisory skills, strong conceptual and strategic skills, high performance under pressure and a solution and goal-oriented approach.
- Strong teamwork skills in diverse, multicultural teams, cooperation and communication skills; political and strategic intuition, sensitivity and diplomatic skills as well as very good networking skills. Prior work and/or cooperation experiences with the EAC Secretariat and/or other key stakeholders in the region are an advantage.
- Fluent language proficiency in English, both written and spoken. Advanced skills in French and/or Swahili are desirable, language skills in German are an advantage.
Preparedness to travel frequently in the EAC region.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their applications via the web page https://www.fuzu.com/kenya/jobs/advisor-iwrm-lvbc-giz.
Closing date for submission: 03.02.2022
Photo Copyright: Radike_GIZ