As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The “Support to East African Market-Driven and People-Centred Integration” (SEAMPEC) programme supports the East African Community (EAC) integration process that focuses on the needs of the private sector as well as on social aspects. SEAMPEC is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and jointly steered and implemented by the EAC Secretariat and the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ).
SEAMPEC works – among other areas - to improve framework conditions for economic growth in the EAC, e.g. by removing identified trade barriers and assisting the business sector in developing policy recommendations. Furthermore, the programme assists selected economic sectors in their implementation of regional agreements that improve framework conditions for increasing value-addition. In the area of trade SEAMPEC together with the EAC Secretariat and implementing partners supports strengthening the legal framework thereby removing identified trade barriers in the service sectors tourism, ICT and professional services. Furthermore, the programme assists the EAC to jointly formulate harmonized positions in the negotiations for the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
GIZ is seeking to recruit a Trade Advisor to render technical advisory support to the EAC in the areas of Trade in Services, Trade Policy, African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA), E-commerce, Involvement of the Private Sector and other stakeholders in regional policy making and implementation.
Duty station: Arusha, Tanzania (East African Community)
Fixed term contract
Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Trade Advisor is expected to contribute to the achievement of the SEAMPEC programme’s overall objectives and indicators. He/ she is expected to carry out the following tasks and services:
▪ Provide technical expertise and process advice to the EAC and other partner organizations.
▪ Liaise with the EAC and partner organizations in support of the programmme management.
▪ Support the programme management in designing, facilitating and implementing support initiatives together with the EAC and partner organizations.
▪ Contribute to knowledge sharing with and among the relevant stakeholders and networks.
▪ Contribute to the programme plan of operation and results-based monitoring (including the collection of data and the establishment of baselines) as well as knowledge management.
▪ Contribute to planning and identification, together with the partners of new areas or cooperation including support to preparations for the upcoming phase of SEAMPEC.
▪ Contribute to new knowledge and innovative ideas that enhance the profile of the EAC portfolio in the respective thematic areas.
▪ Support the contracting of service providers for studies and service provision, accompany the implementation of the service providers’ assignments and assure monitoring and quality of products of the assignments according to contract.
▪ Work closely with the private sector and civil society organizations to enhance their capacity and ability to more efficiently advocate on sector specific and regional issues.
▪ Frequent travels within EAC are expected.
Required qualifications, competences and experience:
▪ Master’s degree in a relevant field of study such as economics, international trade and politics or similar.
▪ A minimum of 5 years work experience in international cooperation, preferably in East Africa.
▪ Proven work experience in advisory services to senior level public servants and authorities as well as to civil society and private sector stakeholders.
▪ Experience in project management including monitoring and evaluation.
▪ Intercultural and political intuition, diplomatic skills and confident demeanour in the context of the EAC integration process.
▪ Fluent English language skills; French and/ or Kiswahili language skills are an advantage.
▪ Sound organizational, co-ordination and leadership skills.
▪ Ability to work independently, flexibility to work on a diverse range of projects with proven results and to undertake frequent travel by road and by air.
▪ Proven intercultural communication competency, proactive, team player; professional and cooperative working style; excellent analytic skills; good writing and presentation skills; experience in change management processes would be of additional benefit; very good command of MS office.
▪ Adaptability and willingness to support and collaborate with different works outside the scope of responsibility.
Interested candidates should send their letter of application together with the CV and copies of academic certificates by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the subject line “Trade Advisor”. Closing date for submission: 03.01.2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ Tanzania is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all qualified and eligible candidates regardless of their gender, origin, religion/belief, disability, or any other minority group.