SEAMPEC II supports EAC integration on three levels. Firstly, it aims at supporting regional and continental trade in products with potential to foster sustainable economic transformation such as agricultural commodities. For this, it supports the implementation of regional agreements that improve framework conditions for increasing value-addition in pharmaceuticals, fruits & vegetables as well as leather and leather products.
Secondly, SEAMPEC II focuses on strengthening regional and continental trade in services with potential to support sustainable economic transformation, among them ICT, e Commerce and tourism. The programme also assists the private sector in developing policy positions and recommendations. Additionally, SEAMPEC II supports the EAC to jointly formulate harmonised positions in the negotiations for the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) and build capacities of the relevant stakeholders to engage in the continental trade.
Thirdly, on the level of organisational development, SEAMPEC II aims at strengthening capacities of the EAC Secretariat to implement the 6th EAC Development Strategy. Additionally, the programme works on the level of individual capacity development to equip staff of EAC and relevant regional organisations with the knowledge and skills to push regional integration forward as depicted in the EAC Vision 2050.
SEAMPEC II is part of the technical development cooperation between the EAC and Germany. The political partner as well as the implementation partner is the EAC Secretariat in Arusha. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
You will support the programme team in the implementation of the SEAMPEC II programme, which aims at improving the institutional and regulatory framework conditions for regional and continental trade in the East African Community. The intern will support the areas of communication, monitoring and knowledge management.
Duty station: Arusha Job title: Internship Duration: 01.12.2023- 31.05.2024
- Supporting the team in day-to-day activities such as logistical support for national and regional meetings, drafting minutes of the meetings, online research, filing etc.
- Support the team in developing content for the EAC Germany website and social media appearance (incl. development of graphics).
- Supporting the updating and managing of the results monitoring tool for SEAMPEC II as well as aggregated impact monitoring.
- Supporting the team in working with local subsidy partners from the private sector and civil society organizations to build capacities in their communications and project reporting.
Required qualifications, competences, and experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in studies such as Business, Economics, Politics, Communication, Graphic Design or another to the tasks related field of studies.
- Basic knowledge and ideally also experience in communication (incl. graphic design) and/or monitoring and the East African Community integration process.
- Currently enrolled at an institution of higher learning
- Citizen of an EAC Partner State
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good intercultural skills, experience in working in an international context, excellent communication and cooperation skills and strategic thinking are among your special strengths.
- Express your thoughts very well in writing and orally in English; knowledge of German is not required but would be an additional benefit.
- Explain complex facts and circumstances in easily understandable language.
- Good team player, well organized, able to work independently and grasp new topics and knowledge areas quickly.
- Proficient user of the Microsoft Office applications
Citizens of all seven EAC Partner States can apply for the position.
Only applications from students who are currently enrolled at an institution of higher learning can be considered.
Interested candidates should send their letter of application together with the CV and copies of academic certificates by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the subject line “Internship - SEAMPEC II - Arusha”.
Closing date for submission: 29.09.2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ Tanzania is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all qualified and eligible candidates regardless of their gender, origin, religion/belief, disability, or any other minority group.
Photo: ©Roshni Lodhia_GIZ